ASVCP Quality Assurance and Laboratory Standards Committee
The Quality Assurance and Laboratory Standards (QALS) Committee is concerned with quality assurance (QA) and quality control (QC) in veterinary laboratory diagnostic testing. Committee members include board-certified veterinary clinical pathologists, medical technologists, and clinical pathology residents. The committee has worked diligently to develop recommendations and checklists regarding QA/QC for laboratories performing diagnostic testing of animal samples. Our efforts have resulted in development of position papers for the ASVCP that are freely available via the ASVCP website (Publications link) and as Special Reports in the journal Veterinary Clinical Pathology. The committee also periodically organizes pre-meeting workshops on quality assurance and standards at the annual ASVCP/ACVP meeting.
Bente Flatland, Chair and
Chair POCT Subcommittee
Melinda Camus, Vice-chair,
Co-chair of EQA Subcommittee
Melinda Camus - EQA Co-Chair, QALS Vice Chair 2013
Bente Flatland - QALS Chair 2013 POCT Chair
Kathy Freeman - MV-EQA Co-Chair, AAHA Liaison
Kristen Friedrichs - QALS webpage chair
Karen Gerber - RI Library Chair
Kendal Harr - MV-TEa co-chair
Mary Nabity - MV-TEa co-chair
Shannon Pedersen - QALS Secretary 2013
Linda Vap - EB liason 2013
Guidelines & Subcommittee activities
Posted and published
- Quality Assurance Guidelines (available in English, German, Spanish, French and Portuguese)
- Flatland B, Freeman K, Friedrichs KR, Vap LM, Getzy KM, Evans EW, Harr KE. ASVCP quality asurance guidelines: control of general analytical factors in veterinary laboratories. Vet Clin Pathol 2010;39(3):264-77.
- Gunn-Christie RG, Freeman K, Routsalo K, Friedrichs KR, Knoll J, Wamsley H, Harr K. ASVCP quality assurance guidelines: control of preanalytical and analytical factors for clinical chemistry, urinalysis, and cytology in veterinary laboratories. Vet Clin Pathol 2012;41(1):18-26.
- Vap LM, Harr K, Friedrichs KR, Arnold J. ASVCP quality assurance guidelines: control of preanalytical, analytical and postanalytical factors in veterinary laboratories related to hematology for mammalian and non-mammalian species, hemostasis, and crossmatching. Vet Clin Pathol 2012;41(1):8-17.
- Reference Interval Guidelines (RIT subcommittee)
- Friedrichs KR, Harr KE, Freeman KP, Szladovits B, Walton RM, Barnhart K, Blanco-Chavez J. ASVCP reference interval guidelines: determination of de novo reference intervals in veterinary species and other related topics. Vet Clin Pathol 2012;41(4):441-53.
- ASVCP Allowable Total Error Recommendations for Biochemistry
- ASVCP Guidelines: Quality Assurance for Point-of-Care Testing in Veterinary Medicine
Draft in progress
- External Quality Assessment (EQA) (EQA subcommittee)
- Immunocytochemistry (ICC) (ICC subcommittee)
- Workshop Planning: 2012 Pre-meeting Workshop, Dec. 1, Seattle, WA. Promoting a Culture of Quality in Your Laboratory Setting. Sharon Ehrmeyer, PhD, MT (ASCP)