Type of Program: Residency Training and Graduate School
Length of Training: 3 yrs (residency + MS) or 5-6 yrs (residency + PhD)
No. of Trainees: 2-3
Current Trainee(s): Jordan Towns, Maria Naskou, Brittany Madere
1) Training in the interpretation of hematologic, biochemical, cytologic and histopathologic samples.
2) Eligibility for ACVP board certification in Clinical Pathology.
3) Teaching experience in different professional student classes, including both small group discussions and large group lectures.
4) Presentation experience at professional meetings at the local, regional, and national levels.
5) Participation in clinical or basic research and scientific publication.
High case load, varied and high quality cases, very flexible schedule, digital photomicroscopy, computerized medical record system, active and inclusive oncology group, close interaction between clinical pathologists, professional students and clinical interns, residents, and
Clinical diagnostic duty, formal coursework, research projects, seminars, rounds, independent study, teaching professional students.
Additional Training Areas:
Surgical biopsy, research techniques, platelet function analysis, flow cytometry
Hematology, clinical chemistry, immunology, anatomic pathology, statistics, mechanisms of disease, molecular biology.
Clinical Pathology Faculty:
Beth Spangler, DVM, PhD, Dipl ACVIM and Dipl ACVP, Associate Professor
Pete Christopherson, DVM, PhD, Dipl ACVP, Assistant Professor
Emily Graff, DVM, PhD, Dipl ACVP, Assistant Professor
Eric Fish, DVM, Diplomate ACVP, Assistant Professor
Kelsey Legendre, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVP, Clinical Lecturer
Faculty Research Interests:
Platelet function and blood coagulation, diagnostic applications of flow cytometry (Spangler), platelet function disorders and inherited platelet diseases (Christopherson), relationship between adipose tissue and immune response (Graff), microRNA expression in canine mammary tumors, iron metabolism (Fish), immunocytochemistry and exotic animal cytology (Legendre)
Trainees in Last 5 Years:
Chris Lanier, DVM. MPH, MS, Diplomate ACPVM, Diplomate ACVP
Cheryl Auch Lawson, DVM, Diplomate ACVP, IDEXX Laboratories
Eric Fish, DVM, Diplomate ACVP, Assistant Professor and PhD candidate, Auburn University