1) Prepare individuals for successful ACVP board certification
2) Prepare individuals for a career in diagnostic clinical pathology
3) Offer individuals a foundation for a successful research career
Diagnostic cytology, teaching, extensive archived cytology and hematology materials, strong collaborative relationships with clinical and laboratory animal group.
Teaching, service rotations with initial supervision, rounds (medicine, pathology, and oncology), formal coursework, anatomic pathology and laboratory animal exposure, independent and collaborative research, presentation at national meetings, continuing education for state veterinarians.
Additional Training Areas:
Toxicologic research, surgical biopsies, laboratory animal research.
Diagnostic cytopathology and histopathology, mechanisms of disease, biochemistry, interpretive clinical biochemistry, statistics.
Clinical Pathology Faculty:
- Charles E. Wiedmeyer, DVM, PhD, Dipl ACVP, Associate Professor
- Marlyn S. Whitney, DVM, PhD, Dipl ACVP, Clinical Associate Professor
- Angela Royal DVM, MS, DACVP, Assistant Clinical Professor
Faculty Research Interests:
Development of diagnostic tests for laboratory animal species, use of novel methods for detection of renal dysfunction, molecular mechanisms of pathology, laboratory animal clinical pathology.
Trainees in Last 5 Years and Current Positions:
- Tamara Hancock, PhD candidate, University of Missouri
- Natalie Hoeep, Clinical Pathologist, IDEXX, Memphis, TN
- Bridget Garner, Assistant Professor, University of Georgia
- Angela Royal, Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Missouri
- Laura Cregar, Principal Clinical Pathologist, MPI Research
- Melanie Spoor, Pathologist, Axiom Veterinary Laboratories
Contact Person(s): Charles E Wiedmeyer
900 Campus Drive
A345 Clydesdale Hall
Columbia, MO 65211
Web Site: www.cvm.missouri.edu
Next Open Position: July 2014
Type of Program: Combined residency and MS, with preferred advancement to PhD
Length of Training: 3 years (residency and MS)
No. of Trainees: 3
- Erin Burton
- Diana Hoffman
- Tara Piech